Wednesday 2 May 2018

1 9 8 3 - Australiana

1. Australiana - Austen Tayshus (July)
2. Flashdance... What a feeling - Irene Cara (June)
3. Gloria - Laura Branigan (Dec.82)
4. Billy Jean - Michael Jackson (Feb)
5. Up where we belong - Joe Cocker & Jennifer Warnes (Dec.82)

6. Total eclipse of the heart - Bonnie Tyler (May)
7. Bop girl - Pat Wilson (Sept)
8. Karma chameleon - Culture Club (Sept)
9. Rain - Dragon (Aug)
10. Every breath you take - The Police (June)

11. Beat it - Michael Jackson (May)
12. Reckless - Australian Crawl (Oct)
13. I was only 19 - Redgum (Apr)
14. Islands in the stream - Kenny Rogers & Dolly Parton (Oct)
15. Fraction too much friction - Tim Finn (June)

16. 1999 - Prince (Feb)
17. Give it up - KC & the Sunshine Band (Sept)
18. Heartbreaker - Dionne Warwick (Dec.82)
19. I'm still standing - Elton John (June)
20. Electric Avenue - Eddy Grant (June)

21. You can't hurry love - Phil Collins (Jan)
22. Do you really want to hurt me? - Culture Club (Nov.82)
23. Twisting by the pool - Dire Straits (Feb)
24. Let's dance - David Bowie (March)
25. Africa - Toto (Nov.82)

26. Send me an angel - Real Life (June)
27. Drop the pilot - Joan Armatrading (Apr)
28. Save your love - Renne & Renato (Apr)
29. Overkill - Men At Work (Mar)
30. Young guns (Go for it) - Wham! (Jan)

31. Sexual healing - Marvin Gaye (Jan)
32. Red red wine - UB40 (Oct)
33. The clapping song - The Belle Stars (Nov.82)
34. Puttin' on the Ritz - Taco (Aug)
35. Truly - Lionel Richie (Dec.82)

36. Power and the passion - Midnight Oil (Mar)
37. Church of the poison mind - Culture Club (June)
38. I guess that's why they call it the blues - Elton John (Aug)
39. Maniac - Michael Sembello (Aug)
40. The safety dance - Men Without Hats (Aug)

41. Sweet dreams (Are made of this) - Eurythmics (May)
42. Always something there to remind me - Naked eyes (Apr)
43. True - Spandau Ballet (Aug)
44. Modern love - David Bowie (Sept)
45. Made my day Tim Finn (Sept)

46. Back on the chain gang - Pretender (Nov)
47. Pass the dutchie - Musical Youth (Nov.82)
48. Shiny shiny - Haysi Fantayzee (July)
49. Words - F.R.David (Jan)
50. She works hard for the money - Donna Summer (July)

51. U.S. Forces - Midnight Oil (June)
52. Moonlight shadow - Mike Oldfield & Maggie Reilly (July)
53. Blue Monday - New Order (May)
54. Is there something I should know? - Duran Duran (May)
55. Der Kommissar - Falco (Apr)

56.  Maggie - Foster & Allen (July)
57. Say say say - Paul McCartney & Michael Jackson (Oct)
58. Living on the ceiling (When I'm tal, I'm so tall) - BlancMange (Feb)
59. Tell her about it - Billy Joel (Aug)
60. I could be so good for you - Dennis Waterman (Oct)

61. White wedding - Billy Idol (Jan)
62. Uptown girl - Billy Joel (Oct)
63. Ain't no pleasing you - Chas & Dave (Dec.82)
64. Zoom - Fat Larry's Band (Dec.82)
65. Shoop shoop diddy wop cumma cumma a wang dang - Monte Video & the Cassettes (Feb)

66. Union of the snake - Duran Duran (Oct)
67. Mirror man - The Human League (Oct)
68. We've got tonight - Kenny Rogers & Sheena Easton
69. Solitaire - Laura Branigan (May)
70. Tonight, I celebrate my love - Peabo Bryson & Roberta Flack (Feb)

71. Siren (Never let you go) - Divinyls (June)
72. Wherever I lay my hat - Paul Young (Aug)
73. (Keep feeling) Fascination - The Human League (July)
74. Gold - Spandau Ballet (Oct)
75. I don't wanna dance - Eddy Grant (Apr)

76. Staring at the embers - Tim Finn (Dec)
77. Wham rap (Enjoy what you do) - Wham (Apr)
78. Little red Corvette - Prince (June)
79. Time (Clock of the heart) - Culture Club (Feb)
80. Baby Jane - Rod Stewart (June)

81. I eat cannibals - Toto Coelo (Nov.82)
82. Don't pay the ferryman - Chris De Burgh (Jan)
83. Jeopardy - Gre Kihn Band (Apr)
84. Too shy - Kajagoogoo (Mar)
85. The message - Granmaster Flash & the Furious Five (Feb)

86. Bad boys - Wham! (July)
87. All night long (All night) - Lionel Richie (Nov)
88. Dr. Heckyl & Mr. Jive - Men At Work (Nov)
89. I'm so excited - Pointer Sisters (Sept)
90. Baby I need your lovin' - Carl Carlton (Feb)

91. I hear motion - Models (Sept)
92. Rock'n'roll is king - Electric Light Orchestra (July)
93. Mad world - Tears for Fears (Feb)
94. Let's go to bed - The Cure (May)
95. Orchard road - Leo Sayer (May)

96. Science fiction - Divinyls (Jan)
97. Montego Bay - Allniters (Sept)
98. Let the Franklin flow - Gordon Franklin & the Wilderness Ensemble (Apr)
99. When you were sweet sixteen - The Fureys & Davey Arthur (Oct)
100. McRawhide - The Chaps (Sept)


'Australiana' a spoken-word recording by stand-up comedian Austen Tayshus was the best selling single of 1983 in Australia. Written by Billy 'The 12th Man' Birmingham, it made history when it commanded No.1 on the singles charts for 8 weeks after its release in June 1983. It sold more than 200,000 copies and it was the first spoken-word record to ever claim No. 1. 

The tale of an Australian suburban barbecue used a series of outrageous puns name checking Australiana fauna, locations and products. The sketch is built on extensive sets of equivocations that form pun relating to Australian place names and icons. Many made their mark on the Australian vernacular including 'how much can a koala bear'?



Sitting at home last Sunday morning me mate Boomer rang (boomerang); said he was having a few people around for a barbie; said he might cook a burra or two (kookaburra). I said, 'Sounds great, will Walla be there? (wallaby)

He said, 'Yeah and Vegie might come too' (vegemite)

So I said to the wife, 'Do you wanna go, Anna'? (goanna) She said, 'I'll go if Din goes!' (dingoes)

So I said, 'What'll we do about Nulla? (wattle) (nulla: a hardwood club used as a weapon by Aborigines)

He said, 'Nulla bores me to tears, leave him at home!' (Nullabor, an area between South & Western Australia whites gave the Latin name: 'nulus arbor' meaning 'no trees')

We got to the party about two and walked straight out the kitchen to put some booze in the fridge. Any you wouldn't believe it, there's Boomer's wife Warra sitting there trying to plait her puss! (platypus)

Now, I don't like to speak ill o' Warra (Illawarra), but I was shocked, I mean 'How much can a koala bare? (koala bear)

So I grabbed a beer, flashed me wanger at her (Wangaratta, Vic.) and went out and joined the party.

Pretty soon, Ayers rocks in and things really started jumping. This Indian girl, Marsu, turns up dying to go to the toilet but she couldn't find it. I said to me mate Al, 'Hey, where can Marsu pee, Al'? (marsupial) He said, 'She can go out back (outback) with the fellas, she's probably seen a cock or two'. (cockatoo)

Well, just then Warra comes out of the kitchen with a few drinks for everybody. Fairdinkum, you've never seen a cooler bar maid. (coolabah, gum tree). I grabbed a beer and said, 'Thanks, Warra, tah'. (warratah)

A couple of Queenslanders at the party, one smelling pretty strong of aftershcave. He sat down next to me and I said, 'Ya know mate, you reek o' Stockade!' (Eureka Stockade)

It was really hot that day; Oscar felt like a swim. He said to Ina, 'Do you want a have a dip in the river, Ina? (Riverina, agricultural area in NSW). She said, 'I haven't got my cossie, Oscar'. (Mount Kosciuszko)

Well, Bo says, 'Come in starkers, what'll they care!' (wattle)
Ina says, 'What, without so much as a thread, Bo? (Threadbo) Ah, perish 'er thought! (Perisher Valley) Has Eucum been in yet? (Eucumbene River)

Well, a few of the blokes decided to play some cricket. Boomer says, 'Why doesn't Wom bat? (wombat) 'Yeah, and let Tenter field'. (Tenterfield, NSW)

He said I should have a bowl but I was too out of it to play cricket so I suggested a game of cards. I said to Lyptus, 'Wanna game of Euca, Lyptus? (eucalyptus) He said, 'There's no point mate, Dah wins every time.' (Darwin, Northern Territory)

Well, Bill said he'd like a smoke. Nobody knew where the dope was stashed. I said, 'I think Marie knows'. (merinos) But I was just spinning a bit of a yarn. Barry pulls a joint out of his pocket. Bill says, 'Great, Barry, a reefer! (Barrier Reef) What is it, mate? 'Noosa heads, of course. (Noosa Heads, Queenslad) Me mate Ada laid 'em on me'. (Adelaide) And it was a great joint too, blew Mountains away and his three sisters. (Blue Mountains and Three Sisters)

Well, I thought I'd roll one meself, I said, 'Chuck us the Tally Ho, Bart.' (Hobart) He said, 'They're out on the lawn, Ceston, can you get 'em for us?' (Launceston, Tasmania) Burnie says, 'It's okay mate, she's apples, I'll get 'em for ya.'

Just then, Alice springs into action, (Alice Springs, N.T.) starts to pack Bill a bong. (billabong) And you wouldn't believe it, the bong's broken. I said, 'Lord, how?' (Lord Howe, island in the Tasman Sea) 'Hey, man' somebody said, 'Will a didgery do? (didgeridoo) I said, 'Hummmm mummmm, mummm maybe it'll have to'.

I look in the corner and there's Bass sitting there, no getting into it, not getting out of it, I said, 'What, is Bass straight or somthin? (Bass Strait) Boomer said, 'As a matter of fact mate, he's a cop'. I said, 'Ya jokin, mate, a cop. I'm getting outta here, let's go, Anna. (goanna) She said, 'No way, I'm hanging round till Gum leaves. (gum tree leaves) Besides, I don't wanna leave Jack around a party on his own. (jacaranda tree) Have you seen him? I think he's trying to crack on to Woomba, (Toowoomba, Queensland) he's already tried to mount Isa.  (Mount Isa, Queensland). And he'll definitely try to lead you astray, Liana! (Australiana) Thank you and good night!

Tim Finn's solo album spawned at least 3 singles with heavy air-play.
Divinyls' 'Siren' (Never let you go) had vocals by Bjarne Ohlin (its author) & Christina Amphlett



1. Flash dance - Irene Carra
2. Gloria - Laura Branigan
3. Australiana Austeen Tayshius
4. Billy Jean - Michael Jackson
5. Up where we belong - Joe Cocker & Jennifer Warnes

6. Rain - Dragon
7. Total eclipse of the heart - Bonnie Tyler
8. Every breath you take - Police
9. Beat it - Michael Jackson
10. Twisting by the pool - Dire Straits

11. Karma Chameleon - Culture Club
12. Blue Monday - New Order
13. I'm still standing - Elton John
14. Bop girl - Pat Wilson
15. 1999 - Prince

16. Safety dance - Men Without Hats
17. I was only 19 - Redgum
18. Reckless - Australian Crawl
19. Send me an angel - Real Life
20. Young guns - Wham

21. Give it up - KC & the Sunshine Band
22. Maniac - Michael Sembello
23. Electric Avenue - Eddy Grant
24. She works hard for the money - Donna Summer
25. Africa - Toto

26. I.O.U. - Freez
27. Can't take my eyes off you - Boys Town Gang
28. Don't pay the ferryman - Chris De Burgh
29. I could be so glad for you - Dennis Waterman
30. Sexual healing - Marvin Gaye

31. True - Spandau Ballet
32. Save your love - Renee & Renato
33. Sweet dreams - Eurythmics
34. Heartbreaker - Dionne Warwick
35. Drop the pilot - Joan Armatrading

36. Modern love - David Bowie
37. Wherever I lay my hat - Paul Young
38. Orchard road - Leo Sayer
39. Moonlight shadow - Mike Oldfield
40. Truly - Lionel Ritchie

41. Mirror man - Human League
42. Gold - Spandau Ballet
43. Let's dance - David Bowie
44. You can't hurry love - Phil Collins
45. Church of the poison mind - Culture Club

46. I guess that's why they call it the blues - Elton John
47. Do you really want to hurt me? - Culture Club
48. I hear motion - Models
49. Baby Jane - Rod Stewart
50. Solid rock - Goanna

Candy girl - New Edition (July)
Can't take my eyes off you - Boys Town Gang (Dec.82)
I.O.U. - Freez (Aug)

blogger Luiz Amorim in Sydney in 1983.

No comments:

Post a Comment